These days Apple is releasing new iOS updates frequently as compared to previous iOS updates that were released after months or few weeks. After the release of iOS 6, the most advanced OS for iPhone/iPod/iPad, Apple has released about four new iOS 6 updates in preceding month. The first update for iOS 6 was iOS 6.0.1, then iOS 6.0.2, then iOS 6.1, then iOS 6.1.1, and now iOS 6.1.2. The difference of the arrival time in each of them was months, but it ended up in weeks. In addition to all these updates, Apple is working on another update of iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone/iPod/iPad release planned in upcoming weeks.
This frequent release of iOS 6 updates make the iOS Hackers to update their Jailbreaking Tools at the time of release and users to update their iPhone/iPod/iPad to latest iOS 6.x.x version, so they can stay up to date with latest Untethered Jailbreak version along with iOS version as well. When it comes to updating to latest iOS version, the users owning an iPod/iPad are safe where as people owning an iPhone are not. The owners of iPhone at first need to make sure about the lock status of the iPhone.
Is the iPhone locked or unlocked (Factory Unlocked) because updating may result in baseband update that leads to lock again. The iPhone’s that are Factory Unlocked got no such issue because they are Unlocked for life. Therefore, people owning a Factory unlocked iPhone are free from the lock thing. Only people depending on the Unlock are in the danger zone.
Over here, mostly people owning an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS are in danger zone because there is no software unlock for them excluding iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 4 can be unlocked with the help of GEVEY SIM on until 4.10 baseband and the iPhone 4S can be unlocked until 2.10 baseband via GEVEY SIM. As far as iPhone 3GS is concerned, it can be unlocked on any new baseband using the iPad Baseband.
Therefore, lets start with the tutorial on how to unlock the latest iPhone 3GS 5.16.08 Baseband that comes with iOS 6.1.2 update. Please note that this guide is only for iPhone 3GS users having iPad Baseband or having old iPhone model of 16GB, 32GB. Please Read this information before proceeding on with the iPad Baseband Update on any iPhone Model.
How To Unlock iPhone 3GS Baseband 5.16.08 on iOS 6.1.2
Before we proceed on with the steps, there are some files that you need to download and requirements that should be met to fulfill unlock on iPhone 3GS 5.16.08 Baseband.
- Download iOS 4.1 or any iOS of which you got SHSH Blobs saved in Cydia.
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3.
- Download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.11.
- Download Forecast
- Download iDectector for iPhone 3GS (Optional)
- Grab some patience.
- In case of any Error occurs during the process, here is the solution for all Errors.
- Don’t forget to back up your iPhone before following the procedures below using this guide present here.
- This Method is preferable for Windows Users only. MAC Users can follow the steps until Baseband Downgrade/Update and Re-Restore. They cannot follow Step 3 because Sn0bwbreeze only supports Windows and Redsn0w isn’t updated.
Download all the files from here.
Who Should Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3?
People who want to update to the iPad Baseband and Downgrade it should download Redns0w 0.9.15b3. in other words, who want to unlock the baseband should download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and those of you who are on 6.15.00 and want to downgrade the iPad Baseband should download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3.
Who should download iOS 4.1 or iOS Version of which the Blobs are saved in Cydia?
Every one who wants to unlock the iPhone 3GS 5.16.08 baseband and 6.15.00 baseband on iOS 6.1.2 should download iOS 4.1 or download any iOS version of which SHSH Blobs are saved in Cydia.
Who Should Download Forecast and Why?
This tool of Forecast is an amazing tool made by ih8sn0w. It helps a user to detect the status of iPhone if it can be Jailbreaked, Unlocked or not. Therefore, we are recommending this tool for iPhone 3GS users, so they can see if they are eligible for the iPad Baseband update or not.
Who Should Download iDetector?
We do not recommend it, but people can download to see the status of their iPhone 3GS if it is Old Boot Rom or New Boot Rom.
Now the tutorial starts:
After you have downloaded all the required files from above, now we will start with the first Step of the process that is Re-Restore. This step is useful for the iPhone 3GS users who are on iPad Baseband 6.15.00 and on 5.16.08 or less.
- How to Re-Restore on Previous iOS Version using Redsn0w 0.9.15b3
This is the option in which you will need iOS 4.1 or above of which SHSH Blobs you have with you on Cydia Server.
Even if you bought the iPhone with stock iOS 5.x.x or iOS 6.x.x, don’t worry, Apple is still signing iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3GS only. Therefore, users can always jump back to iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3GS.
- Open Redsn0w
- Go into Extras
- Now go into Even More
- When you are in Even More, you will see an option of Restore. Press that.
- After you have pressed Restore, it will ask you to browse for the IPSW first. After you have browsed for the IPSW, it will ask you to browse for the SHSH Blobs.
- In browse SHSH Blobs, it will give you two options; we would prefer the remote blobs server option that is the second option.
- Now sit back and relax while your iPhone 3GS is being restored to iOS 4.1 or any iOS of which you got the SHSH Blobs.
iPad Baseband Updating Process:
Before you proceed on with the iPad Baseband Downgrading below, you need to update the iPhone 3GS to the iPad Baseband 6.15.00. If you have already got one, then follow the iPad Baseband Downgrade process below. This method is recommended for people having a baseband greater than 5.13.04 that is 5.14, 5.15, and 5.16.
- Open Redsn0w
- Go to Jailbreak
- Put your iPhone into DFU using the steps
- Redsn0w will identify the iPhone and will proceed on
- After DFU, Redsn0w will show you a screen like this
6. All you need to do is just check the option of Install iPad Baseband
7. Now proceed next and the work on your iPhone will start.
8. The process will take few minutes to complete, so be patient.
9. After updating to the iPad Baseband, you need to follow the guide present below to obtain the unlockable Baseband 5.13.04.
iPad Baseband Downgrade process:
Once you are on iOS 4.1 or relative iOS of which you had the SHSH Blobs, now it’s the turn to downgrade the iPad Baseband 6.15.00 baseband using Redsn0w 0.9.15b3. The complete guide is present here on downgrading the iPad Baseband.
After you are done with the process of updating and downgrading the iPad Baseband, now comes the turn of final step that’s restoring to the latest iOS 6.1.2 to retain the Unlock and old baseband of 5.13.04.
To do that you need to follow this guide of Sn0wbreeze present here.