Well yesterday at the Apples special event Timothy Cook announced about the releasing of iOS 5.1, that was just after the event. Of course developers are always ready, the jailbreak after some hours released for non A5 devices which are iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch 3rd generation and iPod touch 4th generation. The jailbreak is though tethered, released for OS X and Windows both. According to the iPhone dev team, they are thoroughly working on the untethered jailbreak for both non A5 and A5 devices.
From the Dev-Team Blog
With all of that in mind, we realize that some of you non-A5 jailbreakers are itching to get to 5.1, even though there seems to be no compelling new feature there. Because of geohot’s limera1n exploit, those with devices earlier than the iPad2 can test the 5.1 jailbreak waters if they really want to, using redsn0w 0.9.10b6. Here’s what you need to know:
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootrom 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak both MB and MC versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of redsn0w
To download redsn0w 0.9.10b6,
Run the redsn0w 0.910b6 on Windows in administrator mode.